G&L USA Basses
Shown in 3-Tone Sunburst over Alder, Quartersawn Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard and Light Tint Satin finish
Evolution is about enhancing and expanding desirable traits while reducing unwanted traits. That was Leo Fender’s† mission for G&L, and that’s exactly what the new MJ-5™ accomplishes. The MJ-5 brings all of the features of the four-string MJ-4 into a 5-string platform, with re-engineered Bi-coil Alnico V pickups mated to the MJ-spec preamp/control system for a wide range of single-coil tones from classic jazz to far beyond, all without single-coil hum.
A G&L Alnico Bi-coil pickup looks just like a classic Alnico single-coil, but under the cover are two side-by-side coils, configured in series-humbucking mode. The new pickups are optimized for a specially tuned version of G&L’s studio-quality M-spec preamp and control system, dubbed MJ-spec. The 18v system features volume, pan and +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents, and is powered by twin 9v batteries housed in an easy-access compartment. With an LF442 chip, 100v poly caps, 1% metal film resistors and big, fat signal traces on the mil-spec circuit board, this preamp reveals everything the player and the instrument have to offer.
- • G&L Bi-coil pickups for classic tone without the hum
- • MJ-spec studio-quality 18v preamp
- • Primary volume and pan controls to explore the full range of sounds available between the two pickups
- • +/-14dB 3-band EQ with peripherally placed, center-detent, reduced-diameter knobs
- • An impeccable, familiar “feel” of the instrument in the hands and on the shoulder
- • 1 3/4” nut-width, medium C neck neck profile
- • Medium-Jumbo, Plek-dressed frets
The G&L name, stylized G&L logo, distinctive "hook" headstock design and MJ-4 are registered trademarks or trademarks of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc.
† The personal name, likeness and signature of Mr. Clarence Leo Fender are property of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc. and may not be used in any commercial capacity without prior approval. For enquiries regarding the use of the "Leo Fender" name, likeness or signature, please contact us. G&L is not associated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
- PICKUPS: Two G&L Bi-coil Alnico pickups
- BODY WOOD: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
- NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L 1 3/4" Medium C 5 with 12" radius
- FRETS: Medium Jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
- BRIDGE: G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- ELECTRONICS: G&L MJ-spec 18v preamp, volume, pan, +/-14dB 3-band boost/cut EQ with center detents
- CASE: deluxe Tolex hardshell
Video demo coming soon. Meanwhile, check out Ed Friedland's The Bass Whisperer demo of the MJ-4: